Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Chris prefers this Southern version of brownies. Take just one bite and you’ll know why!
Note: We had to take a close-up shot of these because by the time I got my camera out, over half the pan was gone. Oh yeah, they’re that good.
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
A handful of Semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
2. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan heat brown sugar and butter over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
4. Stir in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and baking soda.
5. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
6. Bake at 350 degrees oven 25-30 minutes (at UT elevation, mine was ready at 25 minutes) or until done.
7. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut into bars while warm.
Adapted slightly from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, p. 186