Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shauna's German Pancakes





Shauna was still living in Bountiful when she first cooked this for me. Whenever I make it, it reminds me of her and Andrew and their children. I am writing the recipe as Shauna gave it to me years ago..divided up into a 9" pie plate and then a 9x13" pan.

9" Pie Plate

1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla

9x13" Pan

2 1/4 cups milk
1 1/8 cup flour
5 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 + a little more nutmeg
3/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in the pan and turn up the heat to 425 degrees. (I don't know how much butter Shauna uses, but I use 1/3 cup salted butter...but that may be the Paula Deen in me talking) Blend all ingredients in a blender. Pour into the heated pan. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 and bake for 8 minutes longer.

In the Fall this is especially good topped with apples and sour cream and brown sugar sauce.

Peel and slice 2-3 apples.
Add a little lemon juice.
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon

Cook on the stove until the apples are tender. Serve with sour cream mixed with brown sugar, to taste.

For the 9x13 inch pan recipe, the recipe is 1 1/2 timed. For a 15x10 pan double the recipe (the original size is the pie plate size).

No comments: