Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homemade Playdough

Playdough Guy

I recently taught a class about inexpensive family fun; I sent everyone home with a homemade playdough recipe and samples to play with at home.  This recipe comes from Mom, and it's the playdough we kids played with all those years.

I've tried several different recipes for homemade playdough, and many of them leave your hands salty and the dough dries out quickly. This recipe doesn't do that; it's still the best.  Enjoy!

Homemade Playdough

2  1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 Tablespoons alum (find this in the spice section)
3 Tablespoons of oil
2 cups boiling water 
food coloring

Mix flour, salt, alum and oil. Add water and knead to desired consistency.  Add food coloring.  Add more flour if dough is sticky (between 2-4 Tablespoons). Store in a sealed container, in the fridge.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I bought some alum especially so I could make this with the boys. Can't wait!