Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sloppy Joes Simplified

I don't know how I came up with this....One day (back in Hawaii) I think we were out of ketchup so I substituted chili sauce for this recipe. Chris liked it so much, I've never gone back to the "old" way of making Sloppy Joes.

1 bag of hamburger buns or several slices of sandwich bread
1 lb. ground beef*
1 (12 oz.) jar chili sauce
1/2 tsp. mustard
brown sugar, to taste

If you've got this on hand, it's nice to add:

1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/4 c. green pepper, chopped

Brown the hamburger meat. Add the onion and green pepper and cook till the onion is clear. Then add the chili sauce, mustard and brown sugar to the mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. If you have the time, it's nice to cover the pan, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for a while. Otherwise, (if you're like me) just go on ahead and serve it up!

*Want the lean ground beef but can't afford it? Buy the cheap stuff and then after cooking it, rinse it in HOT water.

No comments: